HBG Beer Week 2017: Year of Collaboration Beers
So many things to do and taste during Harrisburg Beer Week 2017 which runs 9 days straight from Apr 21 – 29. With more than 200 craft beer themed events all over the South Central PA area from as far west as Carlisle to as far east as Elizabethtown and Palmyra, it’s difficult to choose where you’ll end up each and every day to take it all in. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, “I NEED TO CLONE MYSELF!” Feeling like you’re missing out on something is just a fact I’ll have to get used to during this uber celebration of brew.
This is the third year for Harrisburg Beer Week since its kick-off in 2015 and this year is seeing the most collaboration beers being created for our drinking pleasure. Unique and special releases abound. Which collab tappings to go to? All of them! Well, I can at least try. Here’s the lineup of what I know for sure is happening. See. It pays to have the insider scoop as one of the organizers of #HBGBeerWeek. (wink. wink.) As I hear of any more, I’ll be sure to add them to this cheat sheet and update the official website: HarrisburgBeerWeek.com.
Apr 21 – 29
717 Collab (pilsner with lime zest and basil) – Tröegs Independent Brewing, Appalachian Brewing Co. and Pizza Boy Brewing Co. I’ll be heading to Tröegs this Tuesday to help zest all them limes. Limes on limes on limes!
Tapping at each brewery. ABC will definitely have it at their Harrisburg location. Not sure about Mechanicsburg.
Marketing Gimmick (juicy hopped saison) – Zeroday Brewing Co., Molly Pitcher Brewing Co. and Tattered Flag Brewery.
Tapping at all 3 breweries
Apr 21 (Fri)
Harrisburg Beer Wheat (citrusy American style wheat beer) – Cox Brewing Co. and Funk Brewing Co. E-town.
Tapping at both breweries
St. Everworks (Organic Kolsch 4.8% ABV) – St. Boniface Craft Brewing Co., The Millworks Brewery & Ever Grain Brewing Co.
Tapping at The Millworks
Collab Beer (Fruit Punch IPA) – 12 local breweries: Pizza Boy Brewing Co, Tröegs Independent Brewing, Appalachian Brewing Co, ZeroDay Brewing Co, Boneshire Brew Works, The Millworks Brewery, Tattered Flag Brewery, Molly Pitcher Brewing Co, Harty Brewing Co, and Ever Grain Brewing Co.
Tapping at The Millworks and Brewery at Hershey
Apr 22 (Sat)
PA Flavor beer and food pairing fest at the PA Farmshow Complex. A ticketed event.
While I don’t know which breweries are bringing collaborations, there’s always a few in the mix. Our HBG team will be serving the Stouts & Stilettos collab with Boneshire called Fresh Out the Kitchen (Oatmeal Cookie Stout) as well as other beer selections from the teams private collection.
Apr 23 (Sun)
Battle of the Homebrewers at the Broad St. Market in Midtown Harrisburg. A ticketed event.
There are always a few collabs at this fest. Our local homebrewers always Bring It when it comes to this particular competition.
Apr 25 (Tue)
St. Everworks (Organic Kolsch 4.8% ABV) – St. Boniface Craft Brewing Co., The Millworks Brewery and Ever Grain Brewing Co. A portion of St. Everworks sales will be donated to HBG River Rescue!
Tapping at Ever Grain Brewing Co.
Fresh Out The Kitchen (Oatmeal Cookie Stout) – Boneshire Brew Works and Stouts & Stilettos. It will be available on draft and for take-home in bottles. A portion of the sales will be donated to HBG River Rescue! Colleen, Tierney and I will be slinging beers that night. So come out and say, “hi!”
Tapping at Boneshire Brew Works
Apr 26 (Wed)
Moo-Duck Brewery’s ‘Small Batch Collaborations’ Tap Takeover (9 Beer Total)
- Imperial Stout with Roasted Chili Peppers brewed with Matt Leiby
- Kiwi Pale Ale with Kiwi Juice and New Zealand Hops brewed with Shawn Campbell and Big Al
- Imperial Red Ale dry hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo brewed with Rick Brown
- Pops Oatmeal Cookie Brown with toasted oats, raisins, cinnamon, and vanilla brewed with Pops Brubaker
- Cerveza Above Self with lemon balm and sea salt brewed with Kevin Engle
- Kumquat Wit brewed with coriander and kumquats with Don’t Be a Russell Lehman
- Dark and Juicy hazy brown ale with a tons of juicy hops with Jeremy Johnson (aka JJ)
- Mixed Culture Saison brewed with Jacob Hopkins
- Belgian Foo Foo a Belgian Golden Ale aged on berries with Patrick McCarthy
Apr 27 (Thu)
El Nano (hoppy farmhouse ale) – Big Bottom Brewery and 2050 State Brewery.
Firkin tapping at 6:30pm at Al’s Pizza & Subs Dillsburg. Stay tuned for the announcement of which day a firkin will be tapped at Brewhouse Grille.
Apr 29 (Sat)
Little Big Beer Fest in The Abbey Bar at Appalachian Brewing Co. Harrisburg. A ticketed event that’s on the verge of selling out.
Collabs we know about:
- Baltic Porter – Molly Pitcher Brewing Co. + All Grain Gangsters Homebrew Club (Derek’s homebrew club)
- Imperial Northeast IPA – Molly Pitcher Brewing Co. + Wolf Brewing Co.
- Blootered Bastart Wee Heavy – Boneshire Brew Works collaboration with Jeremy Nye (homebrewer)
- Hoppy Amber Imperial Lager – Moo-Duck Brewery + Patrick McCarthy
- Raspberry Coffee Vanilla Imperial Stout – Moo-Duck Brewery + Patrick McCarthy
- Kumquat Hazy Imperial IPA – Moo-Duck Brewery + Patrick McCarthy
- Belgians Hacked My Blackberry – Something Wicked Brewing Co., Aldus Brewing Co. + Miscreation Brewing Co.
- ‘Peep Show’ (Easter Style Beer) – Hemauer Brewing Co. + Fermented Artistry
- ‘Apple Squasher’ Saison – Imperial French Saison brewed with roasted butternut squash and finished in the fermenter with fresh apple cider from Kauffman’s Farms (Intercourse, PA) – Mad Chef Brewing Co + The Vegetable Hunter (where Derek is currently brewing)